If you have noticed stagnant water in your bathtub or the kitchen sink drain slowly drains, the tubing may be clogged. Fortunately, if you find it soon, you can clean a clogged drain using household items. Vinegar, baking soda, borax and lots of hot water are simple yet effective tools for cleaning drains that drain slowly.
Drain any water from the sink or tub. It may take a while if it drains really slowly, but by doing this the plunger mixture can act on the clogging much faster.
Gathers household or kitchen cleaners. You have several options to prepare a non-commercial plunger. Most include vinegar and other substances that trigger a chemical reaction when combined. Make sure you have any of these de-watering agents on hand.
- Vinegar (may be white or apple cider) is the acidic base for the triggering of the foamy reaction.
- Lemon juice is acidic like vinegar, but has a refreshing aroma. For this reason, lemon juice may be a good option to clear clogged kitchen drains.
- Sodium bicarbonate is often used as a multipurpose cleaner.
- Salt will help break down the blockage.
- Borax is often used as a multipurpose cleaner.
Pour the vinegar and another of the plunger components into the drain. It is not necessary to mix them before pouring, as the mixture will generate foam by itself when the chemical reaction takes place.
- For the combination of vinegar and baking soda: use 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of white vinegar.
- For the combination of lemon juice and baking soda: use 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of baking soda.
- For the combination of salt, borax and vinegar: use 1/4 cup borax, 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup vinegar.